U.S. Visitor Visa - B1 / B2 Visa

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The B1 / B2 Visa, or visitor visa, is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business, a B-1 Visa, and if for pleasure or medical treatment, then a B-2 Visa.

B-1 B-2 Visa Requirements

Applicants for B1 - B2 visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment
  • They plan to remain for a specific, limited period
  • They have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

A B1 - B2 visitor can seek an extension of his or her stay in the U.S. The application for extension must be filed prior to the expiration of the initial stay. CAUTION: It is important for the visitor to maintain his or her status in the U.S. Violating one's status can result in ineligibility for adjustment of status. Moreover, a departure after accruing a certain amount of unlawful presence can trigger a bar to readmission to the U.S. Be sure to consult with an immigration attorney from NeJame Law about your U.S. visitor visa.

Contact our US Immigration Lawyers if you need assistance with your B1 - B2 Visa

For additional information, please contact NeJame Law for assistance. Each immigration attorney at our Law Firm has the knowledge and experience to handle your immigration case, including B1 and B2 visas. Two of our Orlando immigration attorneys are Board Certified by The Florida Bar as experts in Immigration and Nationality Law. Contact us at (407) 500-0000. We have an emergency service 7 days a week. You may also fill out the online form provided on this page or contact us by e-mail at Immigration@NeJameLaw.com. We will set up an appointment to talk to you more about how we can assist you.