Eric H. Barker - Partner
Criminal Defense Attorney
Eric Barker earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Florida in 1989 and went on to earn his J.D. from the University of Florida College of Law in 1992. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1992 and is currently admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Eric has been rated as a preeminent lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell and has earned an AV rating, the highest rating given by the organization, which is a nationally recognized attorney rating service.
As a former Assistant Public Defender, Mr. Barker took several dozen cases to trial, gaining extensive, invaluable experience in the courtroom. In 1996, Mr. Barker received the Franklin Graham Award, an honor given to the outstanding Assistant Public Defender of the year. In 1999, Mr. Barker left the Office of the Public Defender as a Division Chief and joined the criminal defense attorneys at NeJame Law. He became a Partner in 2000.
Eric Barker has always been a criminal defense lawyer, fighting for his clients' rights and freedom throughout his career. He prides himself in thoroughly analyzing and diligently preparing for each client's case through detailed investigation, including the location and questioning of witnesses, law enforcement officers or other leads in his clients' cases.
In developing defenses on behalf of his clients Eric Barker often engages in aggressive negotiations with prosecutors. Mr. Barker believes that the most effective negotiations come from a position of strength. Mr. Barker does everything necessary to fully prepare his cases, positioning himself to secure the most favorable result for his client. He is also extremely knowledgeable and experienced in litigating cases. He has represented clients in more than 70 criminal trials.
No case is too large and complex or too small or trivial for Mr. Barker to handle. His extensive litigation background includes charges of:
- Battery/Battery on Law Enforcement
- Child Abuse/Neglect
- Dealing in Stolen Property
- Domestic Violence
- Drug/Drug Trafficking
- DUI/DUI Manslaughter
- Federal Crimes
- Firearm Offenses
- Fleeing and Eluding
- Juvenile Cases
- Resisting Arrest
- Sex Offenses
- Vehicular Homicide
- Violations of Probation
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Selected as to the 2016 list as a member of the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Published in Top Lawyers in Orlando 2013 by Orlando Life Magazine
- Selected as Preeminent Lawyer by Martindale Hubble
- Selected as Top 100 Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers
- Recipient of the Franklin Graham Award, outstanding Assistant Public Defender of the year.
- Who's Who in American Law 1998-present
- Who's Who in Emerging Leaders 2007
- The Florida Bar
- Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Orange County Bar Association
- Served on Leadership Team, College Park United Methodist Church 2006-2008
- Member of Aloma Methodist Missions Team, 2012 - Present
- Listing in Martindale Hubbell's Law Directory
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense