Florida Money Laundering Lawyer
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is a federal crime. Florida law defines money laundering as a financial transaction or series of transactions used to conceal, disguise, hide, or process money and other proceeds generated through criminal activity. Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 was passed by Congress to help fight money laundering in the country. This act requires banks to report transactions that amount to $10,000 or more. The act also requires the reporting of foreign bank accounts and other foreign financial accounts. Failure to report these things can lead to investigation by the federal government.
The money that is illegally obtained in money laundering schemes can be made a number of ways including:
- Drug dealing
- Purchases, sales, monetary gifts, loans, bank deposits, wire transfers, currency exchanges, and investments
- Trafficking of people
- Transfers of title to real property, cars, and other types of vehicles
- Other types of financial fraud
Money Laundering Penalties
The penalties for money laundering are harsh and vary depending upon the amount of money processed.
- $301-$19,999 within a 12 month period - 3rd degree felony (up to 5 years in state prison).
- $20,000-$99,999 within a 12 month period - 2nd degree felony (up to 15 years in state prison).
- $100,000 and above - 1st degree felony (up to 30 years in state prison).
If you are charged with money laundering, do not take any chances with your defense. Contact a highly qualified money laundering defense attorney from NeJame Law. At NeJame Law, we have two former United States Attorney's on our criminal defense team who have years of experience litigating in Federal court. We understand how the prosecution handles these types of cases and we will use those skills to form an effective defense strategy on your behalf. You do not need to look any further. Help is Here!
Experienced Orlando Money Laundering Defense Lawyer
Have you or someone you know been accused of money laundering? Help is Here! Contact a money laundering defense attorney from NeJame Law today. We have the knowledge and skill to help you obtain the best possible outcome on your case. You may contact us 7 days a week at 407-245-1232, send us an email at Defense@NejameLaw.com or fill out our online form.