FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Shahzad Ahmed, Esq., NeJame Law, 407-500-0000, email@example.com
DATE February 17, 2017
The Next Wave of EO's! Leaked memos from DHS
Following the release of the President's Executive Order (EO) related to the travel ban, NeJame Law, successfully represented many individuals from the affected 7 countries, including filing lawsuits against the federal government.
Now comes the next wave of the EO enforcement. Attorney Ahmed, former Regional Vice-chair of American Immigration Lawyers Association has received leaked copies of memoranda from the DHS Secretary, John Kelly, dated February 17, 2017, directing the enforcement of apprehension and removal of various foreign nationals. Below is a summary.
Memo Title: Enforcement of the Immigration Laws to Serve the National Interest
What it calls for:
- Expansion of removal priorities to include even those not yet convicted, but only charged or even committed acts that constitute a criminal offense
- Prioritizing the removal for certain offenses: crimes involving moral turpitude; drug offenses; security related grounds; expedited removal of those arriving with fraudulent documents
- Implementing Section 287(g), where DHS delegates authority to local law enforcement to enforce immigration laws, including apprehending and detaining foreign nationals for immigration violations
- Hire 10,000 additional agents and officers
Memo Title: Implementing the President's Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements Policies
What it calls for:
- Detention and expedited removal of aliens at the border
- Limit humanitarian parole authority
- Expansion of Section 287(g) in the border region to delegate authority to local law enforcement to apprehend illegal entrants
- Hire 5,000 additional border patrol agents and officers
- Construction of a border wall
What to do?
- If you or your loved ones are in unlawful immigration status, be sure to consult with your immigration attorney to find out the possibilities for adjusting your status.
- If you or your loved ones are facing deportation, you have a right to a hearing and to legal representation. You may be eligible for various forms of relief, including but not limited to, cancellation of removal, adjustment of status, asylum, or more.
- Attorney Ahmed is working with the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) in addressing these issues and will keep providing you updates and also solutions in dealing with these issues.