R-1 Visa - Religious Workers Visa

Religious workers include ministers of religion who are authorized by a recognized denomination to conduct religious worship and perform other duties usually performed by members of the clergy such as administering the sacraments, or their equivalent. The term does not apply to lay preachers. Religious vocation means a calling to religious life, evidenced by the demonstration of a lifelong commitment, such as taking of vows. Examples include nuns, monks, and religious brothers and sisters. Religious occupation means a habitual engagement in an activity which relates to a traditional religious function. Examples include liturgical workers, religious instructors or cantors, catechists, workers in religious hospitals, missionaries, religious translators, or religious broadcasters. It does not include janitors, maintenance workers, clerks, fund raisers, solicitors of donations, or similar occupations. The activity of a lay-person who will be engaged in a religious occupation must relate to a traditional religious function. The activity must embody the tenets of the religion and have religious significance, relating primarily, if not exclusively, to matters of the spirit as they apply to the religion.

An experienced Orlando religious visa attorney from the Immigration Division of NeJame Law can assist you with your efforts to obtain a religious visa. Our Central Florida religious workers visa attorney can answer your questions and evaluate your circumstances in your efforts to obtain an R-1 Visa.

R-1 Visa - Requirements

  • A religious worker is a person who for the past two years has been a member of a religious denomination which has a bona fide nonprofit, religious organization in the United States; and who has been carrying on the vocation, professional work, or other work described below, continuously for the past two years; and seeks to enter the U.S. to work solely:
  • As a minister of that denomination
  • In a professional capacity in a religious vocation or occupation for that organization
  • In a religious vocation or occupation for the organization or its nonprofit affiliate

Contact our US Immigration Lawyers if you Need an R-1 Visa

Contact the Immigration Division of our AV rated Law Firm at 407-500-0000 if you are interested in applying for an R-1 Visa. You may also fill out the online form provided on this page or send us an e-mail at Immigration@NeJameLaw.com. Our experienced immigration lawyers at NeJame Law will be honored to assist you with all of your immigration needs.