Robert D. Rightmyer - Partner
Civil & Commercial Litigation Attorney
Robert D. Rightmyer (“Bob”) is an experienced litigator and business lawyer, having honed his skills and practice over the past seventeen-plus years. He is Peer Review Rated as AV–Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system. His practice and experience includes civil and complex commercial litigation, business dispute litigation, professional malpractice litigation (lawyers, accountants, real estate professionals), contractual dispute litigation, non-compete (and other restrictive covenant) litigation, commercial landlord-tenant matters, insurance-related litigation, defamation, business torts, outside general counsel services for companies, employment-related litigation, and contract preparation, among other areas. Bob litigates disputes in both state and federal courts, including the United States District Courts for the Middle District of Florida and the Southern District of Florida.
For much of Bob’s early career, he was associated with a large, statewide insurance defense firm where he became Partner. Thereafter, he joined another highly-respected international law firm as Senior Counsel. Following those rewarding and invaluable experiences, Bob opened his own law practice for approximately three years, and then joined the deeply experienced group of attorneys at NeJame Law.
Attorney Robert D. Rightmyer was born in Ohio, grew up in his early years in Louisiana, attended high school in Maryland, then went off to college in Illinois, and finally to law school in Miami, Florida, all before settling down in the Orlando, Florida area (where he lives with his wife and two daughters). With such a diverse set of exposures and experiences gained through his many and varied domiciles, Bob has the ability to understand many different types of people, customs and attitudes which allows him to more closely identify with, and understand, the equally varied types of clients and what is important to them. It is this unique background, combined with Bob’s legal experience, that allows him to provide formidable counsel and representation to his clients. Having such experiences has also developed a greater sense of open-mindedness to new and changing needs of clients, issues they face, and the contexts in which such clients face those issues.
Robert D. Rightmyer earned his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Miami, School of Law in 1999. While in law school, he was a member of the University of Miami Business Law Review. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Accountancy from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1996, where he was also a member of the Phi Kappa Tau social fraternity.
Some past representative matters that Bob has handled include the following:
- Legal counsel to the federal court-appointed Special Master relating to the administration of a $1.075 billion Settlement Fund arising out of contentious class action litigation in the Southern District of Florida, involving a multitude of legal issues and concerns with respect to the Claims Administration process;
- Legal counsel to the federal court appointed Special Master and Monitor in another contentious federal lawsuit originating in the Southern District of Florida relative to legal concerns involving a Ponzi scheme located in the Dominican Republic;
- Resolved a multimillion dollar copyright infringement case related to house plan designs and blueprints, resulting in nominal payment by the insurance carrier and elimination of larger liability and personal exposure to the client;
- Arbitrated a potential $5 million-plus exemplary damages and attorneys’ fees claim in connection with the purchase and sale of a high-end residential property in Miami;
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice in an alleged $46 million malpractice claim against a forensic accountant;
- Advised a large international client in an FCPA investigation throughout four Caribbean islands regarding alleged improper payments to government officials for business advantages. The matter involved negotiating an agreement with the Department of Justice; and,
- Revised the significant forum selection and choice of law provisions for a large international resort client’s customer/guest contracts.
Please contact Bob at the NeJame Law for your legal and business needs.