Defamation of Character
Orlando Defamation / Slander Attorneys
Defamation is an intentional false communication that harms a person's reputation, as well as their character or career.
Defamation is broken down into two different categories:
- Written, which is called libel
- Spoken, which is called slander
At NeJame Law, our experienced Orlando defamation attorneys assist in reaching the best possible result for any harm caused to you by someone defaming your reputation, career, or character. One aspect that a defamation lawyer must look into is the difference between opinion and fact. Generally, a mere opinion, rather than facts, does not amount to defamation. Moreover, truth is a complete bar to recovery. For example, if the statements spoken or written are true, then an individual is not able to recover any judgment in his/her favor. Our team is comprised of award-winning, board-certified lawyers who have a vast wealth of knowledge that spans countless legal areas, including defamation cases. You can trust us to use our knowledge and resources to determine whether you have a valid case.
Use the online form provided on this page or call us at (407) 500-0000 for access to our civil litigation lawyers. We handle cases ranging from mediation to whistleblower, as well as cases related to libel and defamation.
Elements Needed to Prove Defamation of Character Cases
Defamation law is not only complex—it also varies depending on the jurisdiction, which is why you can turn to NeJame Law if you’re based in Orlando or elsewhere in Florida. We’re locally-based and proud to serve members of our community who are in need of legal support.
Defamation law varies from state to state. In Florida, essentially the elements to prove a defamation case are:
- Published: In a libel case, this would be written or printed; in a slander case, it would be spoken to a third person.
- False Statement: The defamatory statement must be false. Truth is an absolute bar to recovery.
- Injury or Damage: the defamatory statement must cause damage to a person’s character, reputation, or career.
Having a lawyer on your side is necessary because feeling that you’ve been defamed is often a subjective situation, making proving defamation challenging.
Types of Defamation Lawsuits
Some types of defamation suits our lawyers are well-versed in and can apply to your case include:
- Implication: This occurs when someone makes a statement that is true, but in a context that causes false impressions and damages a person’s character or business.
- Per quod: In this type of defamation, plaintiffs have to show evidence that the defendant’s statement was defamatory and estimate the damages they’ve accrued.
- Per se: This concept means that one’s damages to their reputation are clear and harm is assumed because defamation is illegal.
- Florida’s long-arm statute: If someone commits defamation online and the statement is seen by a third party in Florida, the original person can be held liable for damages.
Handling Internet Defamation Claims
Much of the libel our clients deal with is published on the internet, whether in the form of text or photos. If you're the target of false or defamatory posts on social media or elsewhere online, you can turn to our team, as we also handle internet defamation claims and what is known as revenge porn.
Experienced Defamation Attorneys in Orlando
Our clients benefit tremendously from our ability to identify and resolve defamation cases. If you are in need of a defamation attorney in Orlando or anywhere in Central Florida, call NeJame Law and let us assist you personally with your defamation case. We offer our clients attention, compassion, and believe in serving as strong advocates. We value your privacy and will keep any information strictly confidential.
Call us at (407) 500-0000 to reach our Orlando defamation attorneys. We’re pleased to offer passionate and nonjudgmental legal services to clients throughout Florida.