Eric H. Barker - Partner
Criminal Defense Attorney
Eric Barker earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Florida in 1989 and went on to earn his J.D. from the University of Florida College of Law in 1992. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1992 and is currently admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Eric has been rated as a preeminent lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell and has earned an AV rating, the highest rating given by the organization, which is a nationally recognized attorney rating service. He was recognized as one of Orlando’s Top Lawyers in 2013 by Orlando Life magazine, and is currently recognized by the National Trial Lawyers Association as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer.
Attorney Eric Barker began his career at the Public Defender’s Office and quickly ascended through the ranks in the office, earning the Franklin Graham Award, which is given to the outstanding lawyer of the year, as well as collecting several trial awards. He gained invaluable experience, litigated thousands of cases and rose to the level of Felony Division Chief before leaving the office to join the prestigious NeJame Law firm in 1999. Eric’s rise in the legal community continued and in 2000, he was named partner at NeJame Law at the age of 33.
While at NeJame Law, Eric has travelled throughout the state in both state and federal court to zealously defend his clients. These clients have included people of all walks of life including lawyers, doctors, police officers, teachers, homemakers, and students. He has successfully defended or won the acquittal of people charged with violent crimes or crimes involving firearms such as murder, attempted murder, robbery, and aggravated battery, non-violent offenses such as drug trafficking, theft offenses, and traffic crimes, as well as sexual related offenses such as possession of child pornography, traveling to meet a minor, committing lewd acts, and sexual battery. Additionally, Eric is experienced with and has successfully litigated less common offenses that involve physicians accused of writing fraudulent prescriptions, grand theft, scheme to defraud, and operating an unlicensed clinic.
In developing defenses on behalf of his clients Defense attorney Eric Barker often engages in aggressive negotiations with prosecutors. Mr. Barker believes that the most effective negotiations come from a position of strength. Mr. Barker does everything necessary to fully prepare his cases, positioning himself to secure the most favorable result for his client. He is also extremely knowledgeable and experienced in litigating cases. He has represented clients in more than 70 criminal trials.
No case is too large and complex or too small or trivial for Mr. Barker to handle. His extensive litigation background includes charges of:
- Battery/Battery on Law Enforcement
- Child Abuse/Neglect
- Dealing in Stolen Property
- Domestic Violence
- Drug/Drug Trafficking
- DUI/DUI Manslaughter
- Federal Crimes
- Firearm Offenses
- Fleeing and Eluding
- Juvenile Cases
- Resisting Arrest
- Sex Offenses
- Vehicular Homicide
- Violations of Probation
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Designated as a member of the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Published in Top Lawyers in Orlando 2013 by Orlando Life Magazine
- Selected as Preeminent Lawyer by Martindale Hubble
- Selected as Top 100 Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers
- Recipient of the Franklin Graham Award, outstanding Assistant Public Defender of the year.
- Who's Who in American Law 1998-present
- Who's Who in Emerging Leaders 2007
- The Florida Bar
- Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Orange County Bar Association
- Served on Leadership Team, College Park United Methodist Church 2006-2008
- Member of Aloma Methodist Missions Team, 2018 - Current
- Served on Management Team Aloma Methodist Church 2016-2018
- Listed in Martindale Hubbell's Law Directory
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense