F-1 Student Visas

U.S. Immigration Attorney Helps International Students With Their F-1 Visa Student Applications

The F-1 Student Visa has been designed for non-immigrants who have been accepted into a program to study or conduct research at an accredited U.S. college or university. Vocational education is not included in F1 visa program; for vocational education, an M1 visa should be pursued.

Key Facts for the F-1 Student Visa

  • Once you have been accepted by a U.S. school, the application process is reasonably quick.
  • You may come to the U.S. as a full-time academic or language student enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate.
  • You many not obtain an F visa to study at a public elementary school or publicly funded adult education program. Nor may you obtain an F visa to study at a public secondary school unless you prepay the full cost of such program, for a maximum of one year.
  • You can transfer from one school to another or switch academic programs by going through a relatively simple procedure to notify USCIS.
  • You may work legally in a part-time job on campus. Also, you may get special permission to work off campus if it is economically urgent or if the job provides practical training for your field of study.
  • You may travel in and out of the U.S. or remain there until the completion of your studies.
  • F-1 student visas are usually issued for the anticipated duration of time it will take to complete your projected course of studies.
  • You may remain in the U.S. up to 60 days beyond the length of time it takes to complete your academic program.
  • You may remain in the U.S. for 12 months after securing a degree to work under the OPT (Optional Practical Training) program.
  • F-2 (dependent) visas are given to family members of an F-1 visa-holder. F-2 visa-holders cannot work but minor children may attend public schools.

Contact our F-1 Student Visa Attorney in Orlando, FL

If you or a family member would like to apply for an F-1 Student Visa to come to the United States to pursue academic studies, contact our immigration attorneys. Our experienced team has helped thousands of clients in the past. Please call us at 407-500-0000 or send us an email using the online form provided on this page. You will be in good hands.