Dedicated to Defending Your Rights & Protecting Your Future
J-1 Visas Help Is Here. Work With Us Today.

J1 Visa - Exchange Visitor Program

J1 Visa Lawyers in Central Florida

Orlando Exchange Student Visa AttorneyThe J-1 Visa is granted to exchange visitors coming to the U.S. to study, work, train or be trained as part of an exchange program officially recognized by the U.S. Information Agency. The objective is to promote the exchange of knowledge and skills in different areas. If you are seeking an experienced Orlando J1 Visa attorney who can assist you in an exchange visitor program whether in Central Florida, the State of Florida, throughout the United States or abroad, then please contact a Central Florida J1 Visa lawyer from NeJame Law to evaluate your situation and represent you.

The approved programs are operated by a large variety of sponsoring organizations, which include schools, businesses, government and non-government organizations and institutions.

The J-1 visa is valid for the length of time the employer requires the services of the exchange visitor up to a maximum of 18 months. There is no renewal for Business/Industrial trainees. Professors and scholars are limited to 3 a years stay; one 3 year extension may be given for exceptional circumstances. At the conclusion of their Exchange Visitor program participants are expected to return to the home countries to utilize the experience and skills they have acquired while in the United States.

Each exchange visitor category has specific requirements. Below you will find some general ones.

J-1 Visa - Requirements

  • J-1 Visa applicants must be accepted for one of the Exchange Visitor Program categories through a designated sponsoring organization before applying to the J-1 visa
  • Applicant should plan to remain in the U.S. for a temporary, specific, limited period of time
  • Applicant/sponsoring organization must show evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States
  • J-1 visa applicants must show evidence of having social and economic ties abroad, which should insure their return abroad at the end of the visit
  • At the conclusion of the program, Exchange Visitor program participants are expected to return to their home countries to utilize the experience and skills they have acquired while in the U.S.
  • Applicant might be subject to two year foreign residency requirement after completing the exchange program. Under special circumstances sometimes a waiver may be obtained.
  • J-1 visas are issued for a maximum term of 3 years. Students between the age of 15 and 18 who participate in a high school exchange program may be issued a J-1 visa for a maximum of one year.

J-1 Visa - Holder's Privileges

  • May travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  • J-1 visa holders may work legally in the U.S. if it is part of the approved program, or if they receive permission to work from the sponsoring organizations
  • May bring his/her spouse and minor dependents to the U.S. on J-2 visas
  • Dependents with the J-2 visa can attend U.S. schools, colleges and universities
  • J-2 visa holders may accept employment in the U.S. with the proper authorization

Among the existing exchange visitor program categories are:

  • Au pair
  • Camp Counselor
  • Student, college/university
  • Student, secondary
  • Government Visitor
  • Alien physician
  • Professor
  • Research Scholar
  • Short-term Scholar
  • Specialist
  • Summer work/travel
  • Teacher
  • International Visitor (reserved for U.S. Department of State use)

Contact our Immigration Lawyers

The immigration lawyers at NeJame Law are very experienced and will be honored to assist you with all of your immigration needs.

  • ★★★★★

    I highly recommend this firm

    “I had a great experience with NeJame Law firm! I had questions regarding my J-1 visa and immigrant visa. I highly recommend this firm”

    - R.A.

When Your Future Is On the Line... Help Is Here

Put NeJame Law On Your Team Today