There was a big development Thursday concerning George and Cindy Anthony. High-profile attorney Mark NeJame said he will represent them, but not Casey. Mark NeJame told Eyewitness News he has decided he will take on Cindy and George Anthony's case.
However, he said he has not spoken to the Anthonys so far Thursday, so it is not a done deal. The Anthonys met with the high-profile attorney at his office Wednesday afternoon. NeJame said a friend recommended they meet with him for guidance. He said they did not talk about Casey Anthony.
NeJame said he would not be taking over Casey's case, but instead would be representing George and Cindy Anthony. He said, if he steps in, he would help deal with the negative publicity.
Eyewitness News also talked to Casey's attorney, Jose Baez, about the situation and he said he thinks George and Cindy Anthony need an attorney because right now "they are being vilified on TV."
Eyewitness News asked NeJame if it would be a pro bono case and he would only say he did not want to talk about finances; however there would be some people contributing to the fund.
Mark NeJame and his team of attorneys have been known to represent high-profile cases in Central Florida. In 2004, he represented Jesse Maali. The high-profile I-Drive business man was investigated by federal agents and then indicted on charges of hiring illegal aliens, money laundering and tax evasion.
NeJame's law firm was in the spotlight when he represented Fred Khalilian. Khalilian is best known for opening nightspot Club Paris at Church Street Station with hotel heiress Paris Hilton in 2004. Khalilian was accused raping a girl at his apartment after leaving his nightclub Dolce.
Former city commissioner Ernest Page hired NeJame when he got into hot water. Page was accused of using his city hall position to demand business dealings with a developer.